A preferred 1st choice insulin for dogs1,2
Rapid and sustained effect: biphasic insulin activity6.
- amorphous fraction 30% peaks at about 4 hours post-injection and lasts for 8 hours.
- crystalline fraction 70% is slowly absorbed, peak activity at 11 hours post-injection.
Flexible dosing: with once- or twice-daily dosing option12
- duration of activity 14 to 24 hours12.
- once-daily dosing in up to one-third of diabetic dogs5,6,10-13
Minimising the risk of anti-insulin antibodies
- Amino acid structure identical to canine insulin3.
Effectively controls blood glucose levels and reduces clinical signs of diabetes
Flexible administration options
Available in a range of packs and administration options:
- For injection by syringe:
- 2.5 ml vial
- 10 ml vial
- For administration by VetPen:
- 2.7 ml cartridges
1. Behrend E et al. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2018; 54:1–21. 2. Ackerman N et al. Companion Animal. 2018;23:143-151. 3. Davison LJ et al. J Vet Intern Med 2008;22:1317–1325. 4. Hallden G et al. Archives Biochem Biophys. 1986;247:20-27. 5. Graham PA et al. J Small Anim Pract. 1997;38:434-438. 6. Monroe WE et al. J Vet Intern Med. 2005;19:675-682. 7. Martin GJ, Rand JS. J Feline Med Surg. 2001;3:23–30. 8. Michiels L et al. J Feline Med Surg. 2008;10:439-451. 9. Martin GJ, Rand JS. Vet Rec. 2007;161:88-94. 10. Horn B, Mitten RW. Aust Vet J. 2000;78:831-834. 11. Davison LJ et al. Vet Rec. 2005;156:467-471. 12. Fleeman LM, Rand JS, Morton JM. Vet Rec. 2009;164:232-237. 13. Fracassi F et al. Vet Rec. 2018;183:262. 14. Martin GJ, Rand JS. Pharmacology of a 40 IU/ml porcine lente insulin preparation in diabetic cats: findings during the first week and after 5 or 9 weeks of therapy. J Feline Med Surg. 2001;3(1):23-30 15. Based on analysis of list prices of available insulin products in Ireland. 16. Brianceau P, Chester T, Smith A, Horspool L, Laxton D. Effi cacy and safety of porcine insulin zinc suspension (izs-p) for reducing hyperglycemia and associated clinical signs in cats with diabetes mellitus. In: Proceedings of the ACVIM forum; 4-7 June 2008; San Antonio, TX
Caninsulin® contains 40 IU/ml of Porcine insulin present as 35% amorphous Zinc insulin and 65% crystalline Zinc insulin, and is indicated in cases of diabetes mellitus (insulin deficiency) in dogs and cats, where the required blood glucose levels are achieved by using an individually adjusted dose of Caninsulin.
Legal category: ROI POM NI POM-V
Use medicines responsibly.
®Registered trademark. Caninsulin® and Caninsulin® VetPen® are the property of Intervet International B.V. or affiliated companies or licensors and are protected by copyrights, trademark and other intellectual property laws. Copyright © 2021 Intervet International B.V. All rights reserved.